Wednesday, March 10, 2010

BUSINESS ENGLISH - TELEPHONE speaking tips

Useful telephone vocabulary and phrases in English

Making contact



  • Hello/Good morning/Good afternoon ..

  • This is John Brown speaking.

  • Could I speak to .......... please?

  • I'd like to speak to .......... please.

  • I'm trying to contact ..........


Giving more information



  • I'm calling from Tokyo/Paris/New York/Sydney

  • I'm calling on behalf of (Mr. X ...)


Taking a call



  • X speaking

  • Can I help you?


Asking for a name/information



  • Who's calling please?

  • Who's speaking?

  • Where are you calling from?

  • Are you sure you have the right number/name?


Asking the caller to wait



  • Hold the line please

  • Could you hold on please

  • Just a moment please


Connecting



  • Thank you for holding

  • The line's free now ..... I'll put you through

  • I'll connect you now / I'm connecting you now.

No comments:

Best English conversation - Popular Posts