Saturday, March 5, 2011

Engilsh about Catering For Reading Skills - Exercise to improve English

Read the below paragraph.

And whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.


If there is one thing that every individual takes pride in it is one’s name – be it the name in full, in its clipped or diminutive form – ‘My name is My name’. A name doesn’t end with you and me,with a pet or with a place. ‘Everything’ has a name. Beginningfrom food products, clothing, electrical gadgets,household utilities,cosmetics, stationery, footwear, ….. Mind you what we arereferring to is not the mere common noun, but the proper noun.

In these days of consumerism, unless one knows enough brandnames/labels one would be a Rip VanWinkle.

What’s in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet;

I. Read the following conversations:

A: Would you like to try Van Heusen, Louise Philippe, Peter
England, John Players, S. Kumar’s, Vimal …….?
B: I’d just like to try a size 42 shirt, please. Something ofmoderate price
.......
A: You can take a look at Samsung. In fact Onida should bebetter. It could make your neighbour envy you. You can thinkabout BPL too. How about Philips? And don’t forget LG andSony.
B: (Looks around silently)
A: What exactly do you want?
B: ATV
.…….
A: Gosh! I forgot to bring water.
B: Doesn’t matter I can get you a water sachet.
A: No! No! No! I don’t want that. Get me a Bisleri pet bottle.
B: What if it isn’t available?
A: It should be. Otherwise, try Kinley, Aquafina, Team …. Seethat it is cold. Oh my! I also left behind our dinner packets.Pick up something from Planet Yumm. Maybe a couple ofMarry Brown burgers or Domino’s Pizzas or even Saravan Special Dinner Thali. Also get me a Revlon lipstick 201 Cherry Red – if it isn’t available Lakme Forest Fire 207. Wait a minute …. I’ve left behind my mobile recharge card too.Get a 540 Aircel recharge card. Remember, Aircel not Airtel.Yours is Airtel, mine is Aircel. Get back soon, the train leavesin 40 minutes.
B: (thinks) How I wish I had spent my honeymoon at home!(B returns after 38 minutes)
A: What took you so long? You almost missed the train.
B: (thinks – ‘I would have definitely missed the train if I had goneshopping your long list.’)Well, here’s a bottle of boiled waterfrom our refrigerator, here’s the dinner that you’d left behind,
here’s your Revlon whatever it is, the Aircel card that you’dbought and here I am all in one piece and on time.

No comments:

Best English conversation - Popular Posts